Stay Alert, Stay Alive Top Five Boating Safety Tips
1. Wear your life jacket – And make sure your children wear theirs.
2. Stay sober – Booze and boating don’t mix. Alcohol is the #1 factor in boating fatalities.
3. Tell a friend – Tell someone where you’re going and when you will be back. If you’re not back, they should call 911. Bring a phone or VHF radio.
4. Be weather aware – Don’t let a storm sneak up on you – delay your trip or head to shore. Go slow in rough water to avoid capsizing.
5. Get a clue – Understand your boat; keep your eyes peeled for danger; stay seated and low in the boat so you don’t fall overboard; take a boating safety course.